Earth Day is quickly approaching this Sunday, Apr. 22 and will be the 48th anniversary of the beginning of the environmental event in 1970. The movement nearly 50 years ago brought together people from all cultures, religions, and political alignments and advocated for a better, cleaner planet to entrust to future generations. Today, Earth Day is still just as prevalent, despite climate change deniers, politicians, an increasingly disinterested public, and oil lobbyists. After all, the earth is here for each and every one of us to share and we need to ensure through our actions and policies that we will pass down a clean environment and a love for nature.
Here are 4 events to attend to celebrate Earth Day and 22 small changes you can make in your life to be more environmentally friendly.
- Earth Day LA 2018
Sat, Apr. 21, 2018, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
6150 Piedmont Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90042
- Earth Day Celebration @ Aquarium of the Pacific
Cost: Included with general admission to guests. Free to Aquarium members; 20% off for their guests.
Sat, Apr. 21, 2018, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Sun, Apr. 22, 2018, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
100 Aquarium Way, Long Beach, CA 90802
- Grand Park Earth Day LA
Thurs, Apr. 19, 2018, 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
200 N Grand Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90012
- City of Torrance Earth Day Recycling Event
Sat, Apr. 21, 2018, 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Torrance City Hall
3031 Torrance Blvd, Torrance, CA 90503
- Turn off the water of the faucet while you brush your teeth.
- Use reusable water bottles instead of the plastic one-use ones.
- Instead of tossing all of your food waste, compost it.
- Recycle your paper, glass, and plastic items.
- Purchase locally sourced groceries.
- Bring your own reusable shopping bags to trips to the grocery store!
- Try going thrift shopping every once in a while.
- Put your lunch in reusable containers. And then in a reusable lunch box!
- Carpool with friends and family more often.
- Donate all old items that you no longer find a use for.
- Bike or walk around your neighborhood.
- Use long-lasting light bulbs.
- Make use of the public transportation available to you.
- Turn off your electronics overnight.
- Shower instead of bathing.
- Minimize your junk mail.
- Grow your own fruits, vegetables, and herbs.
- Have a “vegetarian day” one day a week.
- Use a water-efficient showerhead.
- Choose sustainable seafood.
- Volunteer for cleanups in and around your community.
- Educate those around you to be more environmentally friendly!
Though policy and political change may not be imminent, there are several things we can do in our own lives to show that we care about the wonderful planet we live on. If you are still looking for even more ways to help our planet, you can learn more about how to action here. Happy Earth Day!!