The Pasadena Unified School District’s (PUSD) annual Open Enrollment-School Choice for the 2019-2020 academic year begins Jan. 10. Online applications for students who live within the district’s attendance boundaries, as well as children of PUSD employees, will be accepted through Feb. 1 at openenrollment.info.
While all students who live within PUSD boundaries are assured placement in their neighborhood school, the district’s annual Open Enrollment-School Choice offers families an opportunity to apply to themed, magnet, or specialized schools and programs outside the boundaries of their school of residence.
Themed and magnet programs in PUSD include dual language immersion programs in French, Mandarin or Spanish; magnet schools focused on arts, early college, science, technology, engineering and math (STEM); international baccalaureate; and high school college and career academies. PUSD schools are offering special events and tours to welcome current and prospective students and their families.
Improvements to Open Enrollment-School Choice this year make it easier for more families to participate. Changes this year include:
- Families can select an unlimited number of schools on their preference list in the first round or lottery.
- The same preference list is used in every round.
- After the final round or lottery, families join the waiting list of every school they choose, in the event seats become available after the traditional open enrollment season ends. The wait list is active through Aug. 9.
More improvements will be phased in next year, including adding a third round to the process.
Open Enrollment Calendar:
- Jan. 10 — Feb. 1
- Online applications accepted.
- Students who live within PUSD and students of PUSD employees.
- Feb. 25
- First lottery results online and mailed.
- March 4-15
- Registration for students selected in first lottery.
- Failure to meet registration deadline will result in forfeiture of seats. Students may also begin to register at their neighborhood school during this time.
- March 25-29
- New online applications accepted for second lottery (only for applicants who did not previously apply) and Applications of Interest accepted from students who reside outside of PUSD.
- April 10
- Second lottery results online and mailed.
- April 11 — 19
- Registration for students selected in second lottery.
- Failure to meet registration deadline will result in forfeiture of seat.
- April 29 — June 7
- Interdistrict permit requests to enter/exit PUSD.
- June 3 — July 19
- Requests to relinquish permits submitted at district office.
- June 3 — August 9
- New-to-PUSD intradistrict requests submitted at district office.
For more information, contact the Enrollment, Permits, & Student Records office at (626)396-3639 or visit openenrollment.info.